- Ill-informed. Impetuous. Reckless: The Trump years. – POLITICO 011817
KELLYANNE CONWAY: What are the standards here. … Because I took a little peek at what the headlines about President-elect Obama were eight years ago — whew, talk about the world’s biggest disconnect. It was basically… [S]hould President-elect Obama go to Oslo now and pick up his Nobel Peace Prize or should he wait until after he’s sworn in?
“We get nothing like that,” she said. “We get no forbearance! We get nothing! We get no respect! We get no deference!”
[Roger Simon] There it is: Not the Rodney Dangerfield line about getting no respect, but the following line that shows how deeply wounded the Trump people are. The line that shows how they have a raw, open injury that throbs and aches from the moment they wake up to the moment they go to bed:
They get no deference. None. And it tears at them.
Deference, by the way, is defined by the Microsoft dictionary as “humble submission and respect.”
This is what Trump wants. Our humble submission and respect. Sort of like what a dog gives his master when he comes home at night.
Or the touch of the cap the lower classes used to give the upper classes in days gone by.
Trump wants figuratively, if not literally, a nod of the head, a bend of the knee, a curtsy. A recognition that even though approximately 3 million more Americans voted for his opponent, he deserves not only our submission, but our humble submission.
He feels he deserves, in other words, everything our Founding Fathers took up arms to fight: They would not humbly capitulate to a King George III or to a Parliament they had no part in electing.
- Five Economic Lessons From Obama’s Presidency – Bloomberg View
- ‘He Has This Deep Fear That He Is Not a Legitimate President’ – POLITICO Magazine
- Chaffetz to get meeting he demanded with ethics official who criticized Trump – POLITICO
- DeVos becomes social media sensation after bumpy hearing – POLITICO
- Obama’s final contrast to Trump – POLITICO
- Marla Maples and Tiffany Trump Allegedly Try, Fail to Procure Free Hairstyling for the Inauguration | Slate 011717
Marla Maples and Tiffany Trump receive free blowouts on Aug. 27, 2009, in London. [Slate/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images]